LOS ANGELES, CA – Civil rights leaders and a Southern California congressman are condemning online threats targeting the Islamic Center of Irvine after social media posts accused the mosque of attempting to create a separate community outside U.S. law.
The Greater Los Angeles Area office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations said this week that the threats followed what it described as an “anti-Muslim smear campaign” directed at the Irvine mosque.
CAIR-LA said false claims circulating online led to a surge of hostile comments and threats of violence against the Islamic Center of Irvine and people who worship there. The national CAIR organization listed its Aug. 17 statement condemning the threats among its recent public releases.
The controversy involved social media posts alleging that the Islamic Center had “seized control” of three nearby buildings it purchased and was seeking to establish a “parallel society” where U.S. laws would not apply.
No evidence supporting those allegations was provided in the material reviewed.
The Islamic Center of Irvine describes itself as a nonprofit Muslim community organization providing religious education, spiritual support and social services. Its website also describes a community hub offering programs in education, wellness and personal growth.
The center is a federally recognized 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, according to its website.
CAIR-LA Executive Director Hussam Ayloush called the mosque a longstanding center of community service and interfaith engagement in Orange County and said the threats were particularly concerning amid broader reports of anti-Muslim hostility.
Ayloush said inflammatory rhetoric directed at Muslims can have consequences beyond social media and urged public officials and community members to reject threats while supporting religious freedom.
CAIR has separately said it recorded 8,683 complaints involving anti-Muslim or anti-Arab discrimination and hate nationwide in 2025, which the organization described as a record level. That figure comes from CAIR’s own civil-rights reporting and is distinct from law-enforcement hate-crime statistics.
The organization has also increased security-related outreach to mosques and Islamic institutions. Earlier this month, CAIR and the North American Islamic Trust held a regional active-shooter and security training for Muslim houses of worship, schools and other faith-based organizations.
Rep. Dave Min, whose 47th Congressional District includes Irvine and other Orange County communities, also condemned the threats.
Min called the Islamic Center of Irvine a community institution that provides a safe environment for Muslim residents while promoting interfaith cooperation.
“Hate has no place in Irvine, Orange County, or anywhere else,” Min said in a statement provided in connection with the controversy.
He also urged people to reject conspiracy theories targeting Muslim communities.
Min’s official congressional website identifies him as the representative for California’s 47th District and maintains public information on his work and statements involving Orange County communities.
The online campaign comes amid broader concerns about threats directed at religious institutions.
Federal law recognizes crimes motivated by religious bias as hate crimes when the underlying conduct meets the applicable criminal requirements.
Historical data published by the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program separately tracks offenses motivated by anti-Muslim bias along with other religious, racial, ethnic and identity-based motivations.
Those statistics measure reported criminal incidents and should not be treated as equivalent to complaints collected by civil-rights organizations, which can include noncriminal discrimination and harassment.
CAIR-LA said the Irvine incident was not isolated.
The group said it had documented 17 incidents involving mosques and Islamic centers nationwide between May and July, including several in California, which it described as a 183% increase from the same three-month period in 2025.
Those figures are based on CAIR’s own monitoring and have not been independently verified by law enforcement.
The organization also pointed to an earlier campaign targeting the Islamic Society of Orange County in Garden Grove and threats directed at Ayloush himself.
Authorities have not announced an arrest or criminal charge in connection with the threats involving the Islamic Center of Irvine.
It was also not immediately clear whether any individual threat had been referred to local or federal law enforcement for a criminal investigation.
That distinction is significant because hateful or offensive speech is not automatically criminal under U.S. law.
Law enforcement generally examines whether a communication constitutes a legally actionable threat, harassment or another offense based on its specific wording, context and circumstances.
CAIR-LA is encouraging people who experience anti-Muslim discrimination or bias incidents to contact its civil-rights department.
The organization’s broader civil-rights work includes advocacy involving discrimination, religious freedom and government policy affecting Muslim communities.
The Islamic Center itself also maintains an anonymous reporting option among the resources listed on its website.
CAIR additionally publishes mosque safety guidance intended to help religious institutions assess risks, improve emergency planning and respond to threats.
The organization has said those resources are meant to support houses of worship facing an increase in hostile communications or security concerns.
No injuries or physical attack at the Islamic Center of Irvine were reported in connection with the latest online threats.
The center remained focused on its religious and community programs as civil-rights advocates and elected officials called for the threatening rhetoric to stop.






















