LOS ANGELES, CA – Dozens of people broke into and ransacked a family-owned market in Bellflower after a street takeover Saturday, stealing merchandise and causing an estimated $30,000 in damage, according to the business owners.
The break-in happened at A-Z Market near the intersection of Bellflower and Somerset boulevards after a large street takeover gathered in the area.
Video from the incident showed people using a saw to cut through locks at the business before entering the store in large numbers.
Once inside, the group took merchandise from throughout the market, according to the family.
The owners said beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes, tobacco products and other items were stolen, leaving much of the store emptied in a matter of minutes.
Steven Abdullatif, whose family owns the business, described the scene as overwhelming.
“It was like a nightmare. It felt unreal,” Abdullatif said.
He said he became concerned after seeing people put on masks and move toward the front of the business.
The family estimates the combined value of stolen merchandise and property damage at approximately $30,000.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is investigating the burglary.
No arrests have been announced, and authorities have not publicly identified any suspects.
The incident followed a street takeover in the surrounding area, a type of illegal gathering that has become a recurring concern for law enforcement agencies across Los Angeles County.
LASD maintains a dedicated Street Takeover Statistical Summary tracking incidents in areas patrolled by the department and describing enforcement efforts aimed at reducing the activity.
The department has said street takeovers pose risks to public safety and quality of life because they can involve blocked intersections, reckless driving, large crowds and related criminal activity.
Bellflower is among the communities where LASD has previously conducted additional street-racing and takeover enforcement operations.
In a prior response to the Los Angeles County Civilian Oversight Commission, LASD said Bellflower was among several contract cities that approved additional deputy overtime to address street racing and takeover activity.
Authorities have not said how many people participated in Saturday’s takeover or how many later entered the store.
It also remains unclear whether investigators believe the burglary was planned in advance or developed after the crowd gathered nearby.
No injuries were reported in the information released about the break-in.
Abdullatif said the loss represents far more than a single night of stolen inventory.
“We do work very hard to make a living out of this place,” he said. “People work really hard to make it in this country, and for you to come and mess it up in 10 minutes, you’re breaking years of people’s hard work.”
The family has since launched an online fundraiser to help recover from the financial loss.
Authorities have not disclosed whether surveillance footage from inside or outside the market has provided investigators with identifiable faces, vehicles or license plates.
They also have not said whether evidence collected at the scene, including the tools used to force entry, may help identify participants.
Because the burglary involved a large group, investigators may need to distinguish between people who entered the store, those who stole merchandise, and others who may have participated in the surrounding takeover but not the break-in itself.
No charging decisions have been announced.
The Lakewood Sheriff’s Station provides law enforcement services to Bellflower and surrounding communities.
LASD crime statistics for the Lakewood Station area show that Bellflower recorded 217 burglaries in 2025, down from 256 the year before, while larceny-theft incidents increased from 739 to 800 during the same period.
Those figures provide broader local context but do not indicate any connection between Saturday’s burglary and other crimes.
The market break-in illustrates how street takeovers can create conditions that extend beyond reckless driving itself, particularly when large crowds gather and law enforcement resources are stretched across multiple locations.
LASD has previously said its takeover enforcement efforts include targeted operations funded in part through traffic-safety grants and additional local staffing.
Authorities have not said whether deputies were already responding to the Bellflower takeover when the market was breached.
No suspects had been arrested as of the latest information available.
The investigation remains ongoing.






















