LOS ANGELES, CA – Two individuals who spent more than 17 years behind bars for a 2007 East Hollywood murder were released last week after their convictions were vacated, marking the end of a prolonged legal battle that uncovered critical flaws in the case.
Charlotte Pleytez, 37, and Lombardo Palacios, 33, were exonerated after Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge William C. Ryan ordered their immediate release. The decision followed a joint investigation by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Conviction Review Unit (CRU) and defense attorneys.
Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman called their release a “magical moment for justice” during a news conference Monday at the Hall of Justice.
“I owe a heartfelt apology to you, Mr. Palacios, and to you, Ms. Pleytez, for what you’ve gone through, for the suffering you’ve endured,” Hochman said. “You are amazing people, and you’re going to do amazing things in this world.”
A Long Road to Freedom
The case dates back to March 28, 2007, when Hector Luis Flores was fatally shot following an argument in a shopping center parking lot on Sunset Boulevard. Eyewitness accounts and circumstantial evidence led to the arrests of Pleytez and Palacios, who were later convicted of first-degree murder in 2009 and sentenced to 50 years to life.
Pleytez, who was two months pregnant at the time of her arrest, described missing her daughter’s upbringing as one of the most painful aspects of her wrongful imprisonment. Her daughter turned 17 years old the day her mother was released.
“I missed being her mom. I love her so much,” Pleytez said, holding back tears. “Now we are together.”
Palacios, who was 15 years old at the time of the arrest, said he was coerced into making a false confession after being told there was video evidence proving his guilt—a claim that was later proven false.
“I still can’t believe that I’m free,” Palacios said. “These past few days have been the best days of my life.”
The effort to vacate their convictions began under former District Attorney George Gascón in 2022 after a formal request was filed by the defense. Investigators cited coercive interrogation tactics and false statements made to Palacios, who insisted for nearly two hours that he was innocent before giving a confession.
Pleytez, who also denied involvement during her interrogation, maintained her innocence throughout the investigation.
Hochman credited the work of attorneys and the California Innocence Advocates for helping uncover new evidence, which raised doubts about the reliability of the initial investigation.
Correcting a Wrong
Despite the exoneration, Hochman said there was no evidence of misconduct by law enforcement or prosecutors involved in the original case.
“The request for relief in this case was based entirely on new evidence uncovered by the joint CRU and defense investigation,” Hochman said.
He also vowed to reopen the investigation to identify and prosecute the true perpetrators of the 2007 murder.
The release of Pleytez and Palacios brought both celebration and reflection. Attorneys for the pair emphasized the need for continued reform to prevent similar injustices.
Attorney Matthew Lombard described the case as a reminder of the systemic flaws that can lead to wrongful convictions.
“We are reluctant to say justice has been done, because the injustices our clients have suffered for nearly two decades are unfathomable,” Lombard said. “But this is definitely a cause for celebration.”
Megan Baca, with California Innocence Advocates, said the case highlights the importance of collaborative efforts to review convictions.
“Charlotte and Lombardo can now spend their first Christmas in 17 years with their families, where they’ve always belonged,” Baca said.
While Pleytez and Palacios are now free, Hochman’s office said a factual innocence finding—which officially clears their names—will be sought at a later date.
“This case serves as a sobering reminder that wrongful convictions must be corrected whenever new evidence emerges,” Hochman said. “We will continue learning from this case to ensure no one else suffers a similar injustice.”
The investigation into the original crime remains active, and authorities urge anyone with information to come forward.