LOS ANGELES, CA – A long-contested oil drilling site in West Los Angeles, blamed for decades of health and environmental concerns, is set to close following an agreement announced by city officials on Friday.
The Los Angeles City Council voted 12-0 earlier this week to formally terminate its agreement with operators of the West Pico drilling site, located in the 9000 block of West Pico Boulevard near Doheny Drive. The facility, which has extracted crude oil since 1965, will now begin the process of shutting down operations.
Neighbors in the Pico-Robertson area have complained for years about strong odors, noise, and potential health risks associated with the site. The property, which is surrounded by walls and features a tower to conceal equipment, has drawn criticism for operating in a densely populated residential neighborhood.
“This closure agreement is a major victory for the Pico-Robertson community and a turning point in our efforts to phase out harmful oil drilling citywide,” said Councilmember Katy Yaroslavsky, who represents the area. “For too long, oil drilling sites like this one have jeopardized the health of residents and exposed families to unacceptable health and safety risks.”
Under the terms of the agreement, the city will collaborate with the facility’s operator, Pacific Coast Energy Company, to end oil extraction activities and enact zoning changes that could repurpose the site for residential or community-focused uses.
Yaroslavsky’s office said potential redevelopment plans for the site include housing, green spaces, and other community amenities, though no specific timeline has been provided for the transition.
The move is part of broader efforts by Los Angeles officials to phase out urban oil drilling amid growing evidence of its harmful effects. Research has linked proximity to drilling sites with increased risks of respiratory problems, cancer, and other health issues.
Despite the agreement, oil extraction remains a significant issue across Los Angeles, where an estimated 1,000 active oil wells continue to operate. Many of these wells are located near homes, schools, and parks, raising ongoing concerns among environmental advocates and public health officials.
The West Pico site’s closure follows similar efforts across the city to shut down drilling operations. Last year, the City Council voted to ban new oil and gas drilling and phase out existing sites over time.
Yaroslavsky called the agreement a step toward addressing environmental justice and protecting public health in communities historically affected by industrial pollution.
“Our city is committed to ensuring that neighborhoods like Pico-Robertson are safe, healthy, and free from the environmental hazards caused by oil extraction,” she said.
Officials have urged residents to stay engaged during the planning process for the site’s redevelopment and to provide input on how the property can best serve the community.
The investigation and monitoring of the site’s shutdown will continue as officials work to enforce zoning and environmental compliance measures.